Creation process of text activitiesThe steps to follow to create a text activity are:
- Activate the File - New... - Text activity menu.
- Choose a kind of activity from the six possible options.
- Write the text for the activity, being careful to only press Return and the end of the paragraphs.
- If a box needs to be inserted, place the cursor where you want the box to appear and click on the button shown below:
- Select the text that will be the first target. To select blocks of text you can use one of the following techniques:
a) Place the cursor at the beginning of the block, press the shift key and, keeping the shift key held down, go forward with the arrow keys until the block is selected. If, apart from the shift key, you also keep the control key pressed down you will advance word by word.
b) Click on the left button of the mouse and, without letting go, drag the pointer to the end.
- Once the block that will be the first target has been selected, click on the button below:
a) In fill in blanks activities, delete the block and rewrite it.
b) In the other activity types, place the cursor within the target and click on the button you used to create it.
The quickest way to delete all the targets in an exercise is to change the type (buttons at the top of the edit window) and accept the warning given by Clic.
- Continue selecting text and creating the necessary targets. If there are various targets in the activity that have some text in common, you can use the automatic creation of targets button:
- Adjust the fonts and colours through the Fonts button. Here you can make changes to four different areas:
a) There are three combinations of colours for the main: the principal colour, the colour used for targets (user text and user background) and the colour Clic uses to highlight errors when the exercise is corrected.
b) A font and a combination of colours can also be set for the boxes.
c) In fill in blanks activities a specific style can be set for the help windows which can be optionally linked to the targets.
d) As in all Clic activities, there is also a combination for the Message box.
- Check the activity and, if necessary, change the correction options through the button shown below:
a) The tolerance of certain differences between the correct answer and what the user writes: capitals/small caps, accents and special characters, punctuation marks, repeated spaces, etc.
b) When the exercise is corrected: immediately after each answer, on finishing the activity, whether all the targets have to be solved before going on to the next activity, etc.
c) Decide if the programme should analyse the answers letter by letter highlighting possible errors, or just indicate whether each target has been answered correctly or not. In the first case even the parameters used to compare the user's answer with the correct answer can be adjusted.
d) Whether an initial screen should appear before starting to solve the activity and the amount of time this should be visible. The initial screen can show the solution to the exercise (for example, show the complete text before shuffling the paragraphs) or an explicatory document.
- Change, in activity options, the size of the text window (grid A), the background colours or graphics, the buttons and counters to be shown, etc.