The ClicDB programmeThe ClicDB utility is used to manage and consult the Clic report database. The programme is considered for the exclusive use of teachers and should, therefore, only be saved on the network server.
The programme has three types of functions:
- Group and user maintenance: adding and deleting groups and users, modifying and cleaning up data. Groups and users are usually identified by their name, but it is also possible to assign them an image (a scanned photograph, an icon, a logo, etc.) that appears on the user selection buttons when Click is opened.
You can indicate the types of operations related to the creation of new users and groups that students are allowed to do in the Global options of Clic. It is probably best that the tutor adds students as users before they start work (through ClicDB) and that the students only have to select their name or photo on the indicate screen.
The database always has both a group called .Unknow and a user called .Unknow. These can be used as a joker to test the reporting system without saving the results.
- Data queries at three different levels:
- Group reports allow you to follow the evolution of a group's performance at a global level or with a particular activity pack.
- User reports are similar, but offer detailed information on all the work sessions, packs and activities done by a certain user. As in group reports, global data or data on a particular activity pack can be shown.
- Reports on packs and activities offer an inverse perspective, showing the users' performance with a particular activity pack. From the information obtained we can see various aspects such as: which users have worked on a particular pack; the global mark for a user or a group; how the results are distributed between the users (in bands of 20%); etc.
All the query screens show a graph with two variables: the evolution of precision (see the previous section) in green and the percentage of activities solved from the total of activities done.
The data can be observed globally or concentrated on a certain time period. To modify the observation period you have to click on the button that appears on the top-left of all the report screens. You have to write the full version for the years (1999, 2000, 2001,etc.) to avoid problems with the year 2000 effect.
It is also possible to print the results, either in graph format or as a detailed list.
- Every so often it is a good idea to compact the database to free up space on the hard disk and to improve its agility. It is especially important to do this after adding or deleting groups of students.
You will find more information on the database structure and how ClicDB works in the Clic manual.